Thursday, October 30, 2014

A Peek Inside the Classroom: Pumpkin Book Reports

 
So, I don't normally speak too much of what we're doing in the classroom, but this I just couldn't help but share! Not only because they are just about the cutest thing ever, but because of how proud I was of my kids for doing such a wonderful job!
 
Aside from all the regular lifestyle blogs I read, I have a few of my favorite teacher blogs also. One of those teacher blogs that I love is Hope King at Elementary Shenanigans. (formerly 2nd Grade Shenanigans) She is such a creative teacher and always has the best ideas to engage her students. When I saw her pumpkin book reports, I knew it was something I wanted to try.
 
I expressed my beginning of the year hardships on this here blog awhile back, but I've been trying my best to start putting more of my personality and my heart into my lesson plans to give me that fuel and desire to survive through this year. It's still a tough day every day in my classroom, but I can honestly say that by me putting more of my heart into my plans, I actually look forward to planning and teaching to the students that want to succeed and learn.
 
With inspiration from Hope, I assigned these pumpkin book reports to add a little fall flare into our normal routine! With some hesitation, I had my kids work on this project at home for the month of October and planned for us to share the last week of the month. I expected them to have a lot of help from their parents (some more than others!), but I was completely okay with that. I want my parents to be involved with their child's education and what a fun way to do so!
 
I was nervous and worried about the outcome, whether or not my students would participate or not. But come Monday morning, I was blown away with all the creative pumpkins my kids so proudly brought to school! We have them displayed in the hallway for everybody to admire their hard work!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Definitely a project for the books!
 
If you'd like to check out Hope's Pumpkin Book Report unit on TpT, click here!

 
 photo signature_zpsef1dea38.png

6 comments :

  1. That is such a cute idea!! They rocked it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely adorable! I'm glad you're making it through girl, but I'm sorry this has been such a trying and difficult year! Keeping giving your all to the students who want to learn and I'm sure you're making a huge impact on their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun project!!! The Cat in the Hat is impressive!!! And that's a really great perspective about parents being involved... I hadn't thought of that, but you're so right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I love that idea!! So creative and your students did amazing jobs decorating the pumpkins to match their characters! Definitely going to have to try that with my third graders next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, this is such an amazing idea! I am totally sharing this post with some of my friends because I think this would be PERFECT for them to try with their kids next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are SO cute!! I love the little pig!

    ReplyDelete