Tuesday, September 27, 2016

BBQ Chicken Pizza


So, I wanted to share one my favorite dinners because...

1) It's delicious

2) It's super easy to make

and

3) It's 21 Day Fix Approved - which I'm all for!


I have a thing for finding healthy recipes that make me feel like I'm cheating on my healthy eating plan - and this one does just the trick. I stumbled upon a BBQ chicken pizza one day on Pinterest and instantly craved BBQ and Pizza - pretty much the two greatest edible gifts to the entire world. I wanted to recreate it, but a healthy-fied version.

Most store bought BBQ sauces are full of sugar, which is not 21 Day Fix approved I'm sad to say. So I needed to do some research and find a clean BBQ sauce I could make from scratch at home. Here's a list of 21 Day Fix BBQ Sauces, and you can just try and test out what you like. :) I have made a pretty basic BBQ sauce before when I've had time. But I will admit - I am guilty of finding store bought sauces occasionally that are low in sugar so I don't feel as guilty - but technically they wouldn't be on the 21 Day Fix approved list. So if you want to stick to approved foods only, definitely go with a homemade version - low in sugar or no sugar at all. If you aren't into the whole healthy BBQ sauce thing, do as you wish, and pick away at the grocery store - I won't judge. :)

Organic Annie's Original BBQ Sauce - 4 grams of sugar
pretty good store bought option


So here's how I make it - nothing fancy y'all.

BBQ Chicken Pizza

Ingredients:
6-inch Whole Wheat Tortilla
BBQ Sauce
Mozzarella Cheese
BBQ Chicken

Directions:
1. I cook my chicken in the crockpot - I place 3 or 4 chicken breasts in there and cover them with a BBQ sauce, let it cook on low for 8 hours. You could also shred a rotisserie chicken to keep it simple.

3. Once your chicken is cooked, preheat oven to 400 degrees and shred the chicken outside of the crockpot (I do this so it doesn't soak up anymore BBQ sauce and add to my container count).

4. Place a tortilla on a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil. Pour desired amount of BBQ sauce onto whole wheat tortilla (I use an orange container to measure if you're participating in the 21 Day Fix eating plan).

5. Add chicken to the tortilla (I use one red container) and sprinkle cheese on top (one blue container).

5. Bake in oven for 8-12 minutes - depending on how crispy you like it and how powerful your oven is. :)

Container Count
1 Yellow (6-inch whole wheat tortilla) 1 Red (shredded chicken) 1 Orange (homemade BBQ sauce) 1 Blue (shredded mozzarella cheese)

EXTRA
You could add onion, peppers, or even pineapple to get some green or purple containers in there. I like to eat this with a side salad or baked broccoli (some kind of veggie) to make sure I get all my containers eaten through the day!


 photo sign_zpsxdahgkfa.png

No comments :

Post a Comment